Saturday, June 7, 2014

Iowa Man Makes Deal of a Lifetime on eBay

A Des Moines, Iowa man was the highest bidder on a 40' luxury yacht on the online auction site eBay.

Jon Q. O'Nasses, says he was at the right time at the right place and ready to make a deal, when he nabbed the luxury yacht for a mere $4000. Yes, you read that right, $4000 U.S. Dollars for a 40' luxury yacht.

The ship, named Miss Fortune, was placed for sale by its owner tarkington42, when he could no longer afford the monthly marina slip rental fee of $350 per month. The yacht is docked in Sarasota, Florida.

"I was so sad to let her go for that price," said tarkington, "but the marina rental was eating me alive, plus, the boat needs a complete engine overhaul."

While the engine overhaul wasn't mentioned on the description of the item as O'Nasses was bidding on it, he says he doesn't care if the entire boat needs an overhaul.

"I had a cool $12,000 in my savings account," said O'Nasses, "and I was willing to buy half the boat for half that amount. When I saw this come on the auction block starting at $500, I couldn't believe my eyes."

O'Nasses says he began bidding on the boat at 2 a.m. last Friday, believing he was never going to get a yacht for $6000, but luck was on his side and Miss Fortune turned his luck around when he realized a week later, as the auction came to a close, that he was the highest bidder at $4000.

Asked what a guy from Iowa is going to do with a yacht moored in Sarasota, Florida, O'Nasses replied "Well, first I'm going to fly down to Sarasota and check her out, then most likely, I'll start shopping around for bids to fix the engine.

"Once she's fixed, I'm thinking maybe I'll hire myself a seasoned caption and ask a couple of friends to accompany me on a trip to the Bahamas. Then, if that works out, who knows? I might even consider taking her across the ocean and bumming around the Greek islands for a few months."


Upon hearing this, his wife Jackie rolled her eyes, and told us, "He is a dreamer, a great big fat dreamer."

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed reading this article, or didn't enjoy reading this article, I'd like to know. Go on, I can take it...